Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Arch of the Aorta (All mp3 links have been removed)


Lack of love hurts. Songs about this subject seem more satisfying because they allow us to be self-indulgent. We can wallow, be obsessive and exaggerate - the amorphous white lie describing the Other as your mortal enemy makes it easier to believe you're right and beyond reproach. It's one of the best parts of breaking up. Or not being with someone.

(1) Silver Apples - A Pox On You: well you've got to have an ominous beginning for this sort of mix don't you?

(2) PiL - Memories: Johnny Lydon sounds like he's losing his mind. And all he can do is accuse you of being at fault. "This person's had enough of useless memories." Here here Johnny. I've also had enough praise for the Sex Pistols. Gawd they were awful weren't they Johnny? I'm not wrong about this.

(3) The Static Party - Don't Let Me Stop You: also sometimes referred to as 'The Static'. All you need to know is that this is a Glenn Branca band. The whisper on this song reminds of the beginning of the disco theme from the movie Van Nuys Blvd: "Gonna meet you on the boulevard, gonna kiss you on the boulevard, gonna hold you on the boulevard, gonna make you on the boulevard...on Van Nuys!"

(4) The Human League - Marianne: oh so electro-retro cool. Makes you forget that you thought Phil Oakey lost it in that collaboration with Giorgio Moroder for the Electric Dreams movie soundtrack doesn't it? Well that song rules too.

(5) Tuxedomoon - Desire: so maybe this song is more about consumerism - but it is Valentine's Day isn't it? And what else is this day about other than buying into the concept of love?

(6) Ministry - Revenge: yeah, it's Ministry. Yeah, Al Jourgensen loathes this. But you gotta love his fake British accent and the synths. See electro-retro cool. I spin this when I'm DJing anytime I can.

(7) Cristina - Quicksand Lovers: when I hear this song I think (for no reason in particular) that everybody at Ze Records in the 80s were doing coke and having unprotected sex.

(8) Armand Schaubroeck Steals - I Love Me More Than You: Armand Schaubroeck showed up on A&E's City Confidential! Anyway, this is almost a Stooges-like romp. Visit him in N.Y. at House of Guitars. Tell him I thought Ratfucker was a great album.

(9) Crime - Baby You're So Repulsive: man, S.F. is being represented today (see Tuxedomoon above and Flipper below). The title says it all.

(10) T.S.O.L. - Darker My Love: yeah, it's in the movie Suburbia but so what?

(11) Huggy Bear - Shaved Pussy Poetry: number 2 out of 3 riot grrl references today.

(12) The Mekons - Where Were You?: their anthemic hit. Makes you want to go to a pub, get drunk like it's your birthday, complain about your ex or crush and beat some ass. I'll be right by your side telling you that it's alright bro. We'll catch a cab home - don't forget your Abercrombie & Fitch hat bro...

(13) The Chameleons - Love Is: my feelings are rebounding off you!

(14) Adorable - Homeboy: in 1991/1992, I was like, man this new band Radiohead sounds like a bunch of wussies compared to Adorable! Radiohead is going nowhere - it's all about Adorable! I was right! I totally put this on a mixtape for a high school ex. But she only liked NOFX.

(15) The Afghan Whigs - Debonair: wow, another tune from high school (I think). Tell you the truth, I don't know much more about the Whigs than any non-fan. All I know is that this song rocks because when Greg Dulli sings this tune you can tell he means it. This song used to creep me out because I thought there were major undertones of sexual violence in this song. And Dulli always looked like the biggest date rapist in the world - that's why this song was so appropriate for him. Doesn't he look like an even more bloated Baldwin brother? Joaquin Phoenix in three years maybe? Look at him! Greg Dulli will fucking kill you.

(16) The Feelies - Loveless Love: sometime after high school I passed up their Crazy Rhythms record at a music swap in Berkeley for a Plastics record. I didn't have enough money. I should've stole it.

(17) Yo La Tengo - You Can Have It All: this song is very bittersweet for me. Someone very near and dear to me was playing this in their car in an attempt to express what they couldn't say. I was too dense to figure it out. I'm sorry. Basically this song makes me feel like a jerk.

(18) The Remains - You Got a Hard Time Comin': tell your ex/non-existent lover that it's on like Donkey Kong with this song!

(19) The Rolling Stones - Star Star: a.k.a. "Star Fucker". No one can do misogyny better than Mick. I saw Paul Westerberg drop this cover on an unsuspecting audience - it blew everyone away. By the way, a drunken Paul threw a tomato at me from the stage. We met later and made up. It was one of the most thrilling moments in my life.

(20) Ike & Tina Turner - The Game of Love: this song has always been one of my favorites. Tina's on fire and flying the flag of feminism. Let's not get into any Ike and Tina jokes.

(21) Bobby Bland - That's the Way Love Is: one of the smoothest men ever tellin' you how it is.

(22) Charlie Rich - Don't Tear Me Down: throw some talculm on the floor and strut to this stomper. A Northern Soul fave from a country artist? You better believe it. And if you've haven't heard his big hit "The Most Beautiful Girl In the World" you're missing out.

(23) Nikki Sudden - Heart of Hearts: the scarves are flying around for this one! For "all those Valentine's kisses that don't run true".

(24) The Comsat Angels - Baby: the CSA are best known for their hit song on the Real Genius soundtrack, but their first album is one you should pick up if you find it in a store (I know I sound dorky).

(25) Simply Saucer - Bullet Proof Nothing: ever asked to be abused? This song is the expression of your kinky fetish.

(26) Roky Erickson - You Don't Love Me Yet: a classic. Also adeptly covered by Bongwater. Ann Magnuson refused to sign my Bongwater 7" of their Erickson cover when I sought her out at a special screening of the Klaus Nomi documentary. So I told her "Kramer was always the talented one - you turd. See you in another crappy sitcom with Richard Lewis". Just kidding. I really liked Anything But Love - it also starred Jamie Lee Curtis. Anyway, the point is: Magnuson wouldn't sign my record. Then I saw Fiona Apple smoking a cigarette. Now I don't really care for her music but when I saw her in person my jaw dropped from how attractive she is...

(27) Soft Cell - Say Hello, Wave Goodbye: so much drama packed into one song! It's like a play but Marc Almond would rather describe it as Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret. One of the greatest break up songs ever. I can't recommend this song enough. Would be a perfect bookend for the ubiquitous Human League hit "Don't You Want Me".

(28) Blonde Redhead (ft. David Sylvain) - Messenger: c'mon Sylvain doing the vocals for an already awesome song? Too much. The baritone is too smooth on this track! "Don't run - just walk and walk and walk..."

(29) Mia Doi Todd - Autumn: I've been really digging on this tune lately. Call me a sap. I don't care. These would be great closing credits. I can see it now: Grey's Anatomy the Movie. Everyone dies - the Asian woman whose face looks like its been paralyzed from a stroke, the ugly female lead, the homophobe, the actor I guess who's gay, Mr. Can't Buy Me Love, fucking everybody. Then this song comes on. I clap loudly.

(30) Red House Painters - New Jersey: what - you think this mix wouldn't include these guys? Man, this song is lethargic.

(31) Lee Hazlewood - I'm Glad I Never...: you ever shoot the one you love? Yeah, me neither - but I almost did. This song is the shortest one here - it's only 59 seconds long!

(32) The Byrds - Set You Free This Time: Gene Clark wants you to bounce. And while Roger McGuinn is busy being a total hippy turd, David Crosby is moving in so he can eat you. This song is a good bookend for the Band's "Unfaithful Servant". Why isn't it on this compilation? Beats me. But do you see how many other songs I put up? It's not a comprehensive mix dude.

(33) Dennis Wilson - Thoughts of You: my gawd this song always gets me. Watch the old Beach Boys biopic - it depicts a drunken Dennis Wilson jumping into the ocean and killing himself while some idiot looks on in Santa Monica.

(34) The Boys - You Can't Hurt a Memory: to hell with the Boys you say? To hell with you. Goes well with Johnny Thunders' "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory". You can look down the list to see if it's here but I'm going tell you right now that it's not. Some other time.

(36) Flipper - (I Saw You) Shine: this is 8:30 minutes of sludge and near suicidal pain. A triumph of a song about desperation. "Face me now - face me now! Show me all your tears..."

(37) Don Covay - I Was Checkin' Out, She Was Checkin' In: when your significant other and you are both using the same motel to cheat on each other - you've got heartbreak in a small town. Dig the background vocalist - he's going off doing a wacked out call and response routine! My favorite barely audible line of his is "She was smilin' - she never smiles..." (at the fadeout). She just finished getting it on with her secret lover. Wow. Burned. This is kind of like R. Kelly's "The Closet" without the convoluted plot and the cornrows.

(38) Thin Lizzy - Still In Love With You: this is one of those tunes you try to save for last or close to last. It's a scorcher. I'm listening to it right now. The guitar on this song has got great tone. Oh my gawd, the guitar is awesome on this...

(39) The Cyrkle - Two Rooms: are you out there Wes Anderson? This is a song that you could put in any one of your movies. Bill Murray needs a new gig. Because a wooden Bill Murray is only good in your movies. Respect is due to J Dilla who creatively sampled the Cyrkle's "The Visitation". R.I.P.

(40) The Kinks - So Long: same goes for this one Wes. Let's hold off giving the Wilsons some roles. Everyone agrees that we need a break from them.

(41) Bikini Kill - Outta Me: this is another great breakup song!

(42) Daniel Johnston - Some Things Last a Long Time: I have a Laurie too Daniel. I'm not as crazy as you though. This is a sad sad but uplifting song. I wonder if I'm somebody's Laurie? Man, that would not be cool. Baby, I ain't worth it - you can find someone better. It's me...

*Bonus track:
Three Times Dope - Funky Dividends: back in the day - when this song was everywhere (in the Bay Area anytime on FM 97.7, 106.1 and 107.7) - I used to say "They call me [insert my name here] the overlord of fresh". And I am. I'm also the Acknickulous one (that's another 3TD reference). This song is from the long overlooked Original Stylin' album - Philly ain't strictly just about Schoolly D and Schoolly D ain't just the guy rapping the Aqua Teen Hunger Force theme song. 3TD's producer was Chuck Nice from Philly. On VH1's Best Week Ever is a comedian also named Chuck Nice who is a former radio DJ who had a show in Philly. Not the same guy - don't be confused. The beat here is a classic pairing of Delegation's "Oh Honey" vibes and the drums from Melvin Bliss' "Synthetic Substitution". Favorite line from "Funky Dividends": "[T]he new wave 80s has everything reversible".

I hope you're all crying over this. Or beating somebody up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some good stuff Johnny but what about some Paul? Let the bad times roll maybe? Also if you are going with Yo La Tengo why not include the Flying Burrito Brothers cover that you put on that mix CD you gave me last year (tried so hard). Love the Soft Cell. Catch ya on the flip.

Tree

Chester said...

Hunh. I didn't know David Grey was covering "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye". Must say that I much prefer his version, but then I'm always a sucker for "adult contemporary" guitar-strumming...