Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I Believe In Me

Yesterday, I got my results for the February 2007 Oregon Bar Exam. I had fortified myself by preparing for inevitable failure. It would have made the prospect of taking this Bar exam again less...hhhmm, surprising? But I passed. I guess now it's really time to begin life in Portland. I didn't really think it would be so anti-climatic. Similarly, like when I became an American citizen last month, this experience - which should be joyous (and I know I'm being a complete asshole in not appreciating what I've got) - is lacking in I don't really know what. But I must take time out to thank everyone who has put up with me for the last several months. I wouldn't have done it without your patience and support.

OK, I am really getting a kick at thinking of triumphant songs to post today. Songs that make you strut. Or pump your fist.

Piero Piccioni: Missione Morte Molo 83 (Alternate Theme)
First up, is the an alternate take of theme from the 60s Italian spy-flick Missione Morte Molo 83 composed by Piero Piccioni. This is a personal strutting fave of mine but I thought it was too short so I extended the tune by repeating one if its sections. Don't worry it's not a monotonous re-edit. Buy the album!

The Avengers: I Believe In Me
Next, we have a song by the Avengers. The Avengers' I Believe In Me can be found on their self-titled album (a.k.a. the "Pink Album"). It's out-of-print but you can buy a CDR of it here - from vocalist Penelope Houston herself (I believe). Well, it's from the site where I got mine...

Gang Starr: Work
This is Work by Gang Starr. This is one of my all time favorite tracks ever in any genre - rap, country, rock, etc. - whatever. I stand by it. I listened to this during the actual Bar exam during every break to "pump" myself up. Every ten minute break, lunch, using the restroom...It was hard not to rap along to this and look like a total loser (or a "nippa" - can I make that word up?). Great battle rhymes: "Yo I scoped it out - I took your weak dream and choked it out. Your bitch don't really got no ass she just poked it out. On the d-low, I'm saying you versus me yo - we can do this shit right here in front of your people." Buy the album!

23 Skidoo: IY
Next up is IY by 23 Skidoo. Since I should be publicly embarassing myself by doing a polyrhythmic dance in celebration of today's events, this tune is the perfect accompaniment. This is from the currently out-of-print album, Seven Songs. If you can find it - buy the album!

Ultramagnetic MCs: Pluckin' Cards
Here's Pluckin' Cards by the Ultramagnetic MCs. Like most people, I think this is one of the best diss tracks ever. It's a great tune off of the otherwise unremarkable Funk Your Head Up album. Kool Keith goes off on everyone from Kool Moe Dee, LL Cool J, Monie Luv, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Called Quest, etc. This is the type of tune that makes you want to engage in a battle of the 8 Mile variety. Then you realize you can't rap let alone freestyle. Buy the album used for $50 (whoa)!

Brian Eno: Stiff
This is the song Stiff from the aborted My Squelchy Life album by Brian Eno. Some of the scrapped songs from this album can be found on the pricey Eno Box II: Vocals. I used to think the chorus went "I want to be deeeaaaaad" but instead it's "I want to be theeeeerre". So it's an uplifting tune rather than a depressing one. Enjoy. Buy the album!

Del the Funky Homosapien: Catch a Bad One
Okay, one more on the hip hop tip. This is one of the very few Del the Funky [now 'tha Funkee'] Homosapien tracks I like (in light of the whole inexplicable early 2000s Gorillaz phenomenon) from the No Need For Alarm album. In 1993, I purchased this album album along with the Souls of Mischief '93 to Infinity. While the latter is now a classic, the former has always been missing something more exciting in terms of subject matter. But it's still much better than the wack Street Knowledge affiliated I Wish My Brother George Was Here. Buy the album!

John Cale: Big White Cloud
Finally, we have John Cale's Big White Cloud. This is from his overlooked Vintage Violence album (the one with the vaguely Georges Franju Eyes Without a Face like cover art). There was an article in MOJO in February 2007 giving readers an overview of "must have" Cale albums. This wasn't one of them. What a crime. If this was a new album, MOJO would likely give it 4 stars even while dissing it - because MOJO can't write a bad review to save their lives. This song makes me feel life is good and worth living. Buy the album!

C'est si bon?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Absent! I bet it's a relief to get those results -- now you can start paying back all those loans. Well done, my friend.

Nice Eno pick as well. Why don't I have that one?

vincedaman said...

Yo! Congrats Bitch!

I needs to talk to you. Call me.

-V