Monday, March 2, 2009


A long time ago, when I was a young man and my body had the stamina to take such abuse, I was beat up really badly. The worst beating I ever received (hopefully). My hands were so pristine and undamaged, as if I never even got in a punch. That’s how badly. It began with my fellow pugilist saying, “What are you gonna do about it?”. For all I know, it ended with me saying, “Whatever it takes.” But it didn’t end there. It ended ignominiously, with me trying to crawl away on my hands and knees. And then I was kicked in my rear, directly on my tailbone. I remember screaming. The pain ran up through my back and my spine felt as if it were going to shoot through the top of my skull. I immediately bolted horizontally in mid-air, suddenly, like an ironing board, and collapsed. But still I had to continue crawling, to get up and limp away from all the taunts and laughter.

I recount this story not to sound tough, for false bravado in defeat, machismo, nor to glorify fisticuffs. Clearly, there is no glory in being humiliated like this. I recount this story to illustrate the fact that I know life can sometimes be a frightening struggle with many difficult moments that seem impossible to overcome. But getting through them...that is the ultimate goal. You don't have to tell me any of this. I know more thoroughly than you can probably imagine of me.

Fighting, and becoming ensnared in these situations, is foolish. This I also know. But it's also all I know. My psychiatrist said I like adversity and conflict, that I create it. Supposedly, it's a self-destructive impulse. This is the difficult situation I have created for myself. So be it.

So bring yourself forth, step into the box and put your fists up. I don't back down. Even if I will get beat up in the process. I would like nothing more than to collapse that jaw of yours.

No comments: